Re: MS Windows mouse highlighting and help

From: Dr Francis J. Wright
Subject: Re: MS Windows mouse highlighting and help
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 11:49:54 +0000

Richard Stallman wrote:

> The most convenient way for this to work would be to highlight all the
> error messages as soon as they get inserted in the buffer.  The reason
> I didn't make it work that way is because finding and recognizing the
> error messages is slow, and I thought users might resent the delay.

The way the parsing is done could be a user option.  I guess there are
three possibilities: on the fly, automatically after end of input,
manual (as at present).

> Computers are faster now; it might be fast enough now.  Would someone
> like to modify compile.el to scan each line for error messages when it
> is inserted?  We could see if that is acceptably fast now.

I'll have a go myself if nobody else wants to, but it might take me a
while.  If someone else plans to do it could they let me know please,
then I won't pursue it.  (I'm not on the emacs-devel mailing list.)

Thanks, Francis