Re: Proposal: Bind backspace and delete like DEL in view-mode

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Proposal: Bind backspace and delete like DEL in view-mode
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 11:30:52 +0100

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> address@hidden (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
>>
>> > Basically, I still feel that when emacs prints a certain name for an
>> > event, then it should be possible to use that same name when making a
>> > binding for that event.
>>
>> Of course, my suggestion is to advise people to use the kbd syntax,
>> as it gives what you want.
>
> I knew you would say that :-)
> And I don't disagree in general - but it is an even more complex
> syntax for the novice user.

I've been using the kbd syntax for years in gnu.emacs.help to tell
people what keys to press.  There have been few complaints.
Hypothetical typical example:

    Joe Smith writes:

    > How do I reindent the whole buffer?  It's tedious to hit TAB
    > on each line.

    C-x h C-M-\

    kai
    --
    Life is hard and then you die.

I'm a little bit surprised to hear you say that novices won't
understand it.  I didn't get much feedback about this.  Except that
once in a blue moon, people would as what does `M-' mean -- and that
question does not go away with any kind of syntax.

> The problem is that define-key is built-in while kbd is not.

In what way is kbd not built-in?  No `require' statement is necessary
to be able to use it.  Just put it in your ~/.emacs file and Bob's
your uncle.

kai
--
Simplification good!  Oversimplification bad!  (Larry Wall)