Re: major mode for editing POV-Ray scene description files

From: David Kuehling
Subject: Re: major mode for editing POV-Ray scene description files
Date: 29 Dec 2001 10:40:36 +0100

> Last I recall, POV-Ray was not free software.  Has that changed?
> Could you show me the latest license of POV-Ray?

It's not free in the strict GNU sense. It imposes restrictions on the
maximum amount that can be charged for it and on comercial bundling. The
POV-Ray 3.5 license is also quite paranoid when it comes to
redistributing modified versions. Have a look at
http://www.povray.org/povlegal.html .

> If it is not free software, we won't want to support it.

You apply strict rules here? Then let's see whether the average POV-Ray
user is capable of installing an add-on Elisp package... ;-)

> I believe there is a free software ray tracer, Panorama perhaps.
> Would you like to write Emacs support for that?

Only if for some reason I come to use it. But that might not be in the
near future.

                                                        David Kühling