Re: Policy on updating info/ directory?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Policy on updating info/ directory?
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 17:22:44 -0700 (MST)

       > GFDL is part of the manual itself, as an appendix; see
       > man/doclicense.texi.  So I think this is okay.

    It is part of the GNU Emacs manual. It is not part of message.texi,
    gnus.texi etc. This can lead to confusion about copying conditions which is
    *BAD*.

Here's how we are dealing with this issue just now.  message.texi
has this statement:

    This document is part of a collection distributed under the GNU Free
    Documentation License.  If you want to distribute this document
    separately from the collection, you can do so by adding a copy of the
    license to the document, as described in section 6 of the license.

That is fine for on-line distribution, but I am now starting to think
it is not adequate for printing.  So I think we should modify
message.texi and the other such manuals so that they include
doclicense.texi, in @iftex.

For the Info and HTML files, it would be useful to add a link to the
GFDL where it is found in one of the other manuals.  The link could go
right after the notice which I quoted above.

Would you like to do this?