A nl_langinfo(CODESET) emulator for FreeBSD and other legacy platforms

From: Markus Kuhn
Subject: A nl_langinfo(CODESET) emulator for FreeBSD and other legacy platforms
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 19:29:48 +0000

Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote on 2001-12-24 10:30 UTC:
> It is true that softwares should use nl_langinfo(CODESET) as far as
> possible than looking at the environment variables.  However, there
> are platforms which don't support nl_langinfo() such as FreeBSD.

Yes, we have heard that repeated many times now. You make far too much
fuzz about trivialities!

Simply ship your software with a little nl_langinfo() emulation that
fixes that problem until the FreeBSD people get they act together and
finally implement it. It can't take that much longer any more.

Hacking an acceptable nl_langinfo(CODESET) emulator shouldn't take much
longer then 12 minutes

... 11.487 minutes later ...

You'll now find one tested and ready for use on

  http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs/langinfo.c
  http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs/langinfo.h

Suggestions for improvement welcome.

Enjoy ...