Re: File name completion with non-ascii filenames

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: File name completion with non-ascii filenames
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 13:06:55 +0200 (IST)

On Tue, 25 Dec 2001, Kenichi Handa wrote:

> So, it seems that we must use a slow method at least in the
> case that completion-ignore-case is non-nil (it is nil by
> default).

Yes, that's what I had in mind.  AFAIK, only the Windows port routinely
sets completion-ignore-case to non-nil.

However, since working with multibyte strings means we need to decode
each file name returned by readdir, to address Richard's concerns, I'd
like to try to avoid decoding even if completion-ignore-case is non-nil.
So, could you please tell what is the best method of deciding whether
file-name-coding-system is the one for which the current unibyte
case-conversion tables are set up?