Re: Proposal: Bind backspace and delete like DEL in view-mode

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Proposal: Bind backspace and delete like DEL in view-mode
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 22:37:43 +0100

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> I don't see why one kind of obscure side-effect like having
> global-set-key modify function-key-map (which may break a lot of
> standard keymaps) is any better that another kind of side-effect like
> having global-set-key look for mappings to DEL in function-key-map (to
> guard against just that).

I've now thought some more about it, and I almost thought you were
right.  But now I realized that the situation in Emacs is not so
complicated, it only needs to be explained correctly:

On the one hand you have local and global keymaps, and if a key is
not bound in the local map, then Emacs looks in the global map.

In a similar manner you can have function-key-map: if a key is not
bound in the local nor the global map, then Emacs looks in
function-key-map and executes the kbd macro found there.  (Well, I
expect most entries in function-key-map are kbd macros.)

Maybe what makes it confusing is that function-key-map has a specific
purpose.

kai
--
Simplification good!  Oversimplification bad!  (Larry Wall)