Re: Could each Emacs frame utilize a thread?

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Could each Emacs frame utilize a thread?
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 20:15:34 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> When I fetch gnus in one frame it shouldn't prohibit me from editing
>> in another frame.
>
> I believe Gnus has an option you can flip to make it do some of its
> work asynchronously.  This works by running some of the code off an
> idle timer, like stealth font-lock does.
>
> Idle timers is the means to write pseudo-multithreaded code in Emacs.
> If the existing facilities to do this are not convenient enough,
> perhaps we should have some special form to make it more convenient.

Convenience is not a major problem, using idle-timers is simply not
sufficient -- they are only useful if what you try to do is not CPU
bound.  Most of Gnus is.  And then you freeze Emacs anyway.

Support for multithreads in elisp would be nice, but alot of work.  I
think it would be better to make Emacs use Guile instead, which has
threads.