Re: auto-saving and jka-compr-write-region

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: auto-saving and jka-compr-write-region
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 00:11:01 -0700 (MST)

    Is it dangerous to use a *.gz file as an autosave file, or should
    this work?

It seems bizarre to try that, given that you want autosaves to be
fast above all.  If there's a simple safe fix to make it work,
we may as well make it work.  But it is not terribly important.

    This comes about because Tramp arranges to set the auto-save file name
    for a buffer to be a filename with *.gz, if the filename of the buffer
    was *.gz.  Maybe Tramp shouldn't do this, but I get the feeling it
    ought to work.

It is definitely wrong for Tramp to do this.  Can you please
ask the maintainer of Tramp to change that?