Re: Emacs and GTK.

From: William M. Perry
Subject: Re: Emacs and GTK.
Date: 05 Dec 2001 21:00:23 -0500

Alex Schroeder <address@hidden> writes:

> >     Annoying, but doable and unclean.  I would prefer not to see time
> >     spent on an implementation like that when a native GTK port would
> >     not be much more difficult (20%?).
> >
> > What is a "native GTK port", and what it would entail?
> > Which parts of Emacs would have to be changed?
>
> I am no expert, but I hope this means that calls to the GTK library would
> replace calls to the X toolkit.  And since GTK has been ported to Windows
> and Mac, we could get rid of the code specific to X toolkits, Windows,
> and Mac.  All would be replaced by GTK code.  I guess we'd keep the DOS
> and tty code because GTK doesn't work on those platforms.

I had proposed something like this a while ago (I think just in private
email to Richard, but not 100% sure), but this is a HUGE change and would
probably warrant another version # increment.

I really don't think the reliance on GTK is too burdensome nowadays.
Gnome would be too much to bite off, but GTK is still pretty manageable as
long as you stick to the core widgets.

-bp
--
Ceterum censeo vi esse delendam