diff-list: customizing lists

From: Alex Schroeder
Subject: diff-list: customizing lists
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 21:07:12 +0100

Per Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:

>> It didn't get "blessed" by Per, but perhaps it still is a starting
>> point for other people?
>
> As far as I remember, the API was my only real remaining complain.
>
> I think you should post it here and get feedback from Bades, Monnier
> and Love.  I get cranky about code I have written, especially
> something that was as painful to create as customize, and have a
> strong emotional bias against changes not made by me.  So please don't
> wait for me to bless anything, the best I can do is to praise by faint
> condemnations.

The following two pages are taken from the Emacs Wiki.  They reflect
pretty much the discussion we had at the time on customizing lists.

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?AddToListWidget

Sometimes there are defcustoms for lists with decent default
values. People customize them, adding a few entries. Now what happens
when the maintainers change the default value? The people that
customized their variables are out of luck. They will have to review
the changes carefully.

This page presents solutions that allow lisp authors to offer defcustoms that
will add elements to the standard value without overwriting it.

Very Simple List Without Add-To-List Effect

Here's an example which will be rewritten below. The current custom type will
not allow users to specify additions only.

 (defcustom mm-automatic-display
   '("text/plain" "text/enriched" "text/richtext" "text/html"
     "text/x-vcard" "image/.*" "message/delivery-status" "multipart/.*"
     "message/rfc822" "text/x-patch" "application/pgp-signature"
     "application/emacs-lisp" "application/x-pkcs7-signature"
     "application/pkcs7-signature" "application/x-pkcs7-mime"
     "application/pkcs7-mime")
   "A list of MIME types to be displayed automatically."
   :type '(repeat string)
   :group 'mime-display)

Comparing