Re: table.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: table.el
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2001 23:35:08 -0500

>     I'm interested in a wrapper kind of extension mechanism (I need
>     something like that in PCL-CVS...
>
> Please note that PCL-CVS does already work--this change would
> only make it cleaner, not help the user.

Indeed.  I was just trying to give some insight by mentioning
a case where a similar feature had been needed.

> Developing new abstract programming features so we can make existing
> code cleaner is not inherently a bad thing--but it is indeed bad, if
> it distracts us from work that is more important.  Our priority should
> be on making improvements *for the Emacs user*.

The reason why I added such wrappers (although they're rather ad-hoc
and very ugly as far as the code is concerned) was to improve the
feature set and consistency of the interface, for the benefit of
the user.

        Stefan

PS: Another situation where wrappers are used is for file-operations.
    I don't think we can (or should try to) find a solution that covers
    all the cases, but looking at existing solutions can still be
    useful.