Re: New mh-e toolbar icons

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: New mh-e toolbar icons
Date: 02 Dec 2001 10:04:50 -0800

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> > The icons that are only suitable for mail, because the actual images
> > somehow refer to mail, should have `mail' in the file names.
>
> That would severely limit the range of possible names they can use,
> given the restrictions of DOS 8+3 filesystems on file names.  That's
> why I suggested to keep them in the mail/ subdirectory: you don't need
> the prefix in that case.

  Is 8+3 conformance still an issue? Many of the files in Emacs do not
  conform. Still, by putting the icons in mail, you can drop the mail-
  prefix. However, as RMS points out, this may be a namespace
  liability. You'll want to move the mail_* icons from toolbar to mail
  then?

  I'm happy to conform with whatever conventions you folks come up
  with. Perhaps we might take this opportunity to do something
  completely different. With *all* of the images.

  How about this?

    emacs/lisp
    emacs/images
    emacs/images/lisp/
    emacs/images/lisp/sb-dir-minus.xpm
    emacs/images/mail
    emacs/images/mail/reply.xpm
    emacs/images/gnus
    emacs/images/gnus/subscribe.xpm

  Add emacs/images to the load-path. Programs load images with the
  path relative to emacs/images (e.g., "mail/reply"). This keeps the
  names short, keeps the namespace clean, and makes it easier to
  browse all available images.

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD
Maintainer of comp.mail.mh FAQ and mh-e. Vote Libertarian!