Re: I have committed changes to control fringe widths.

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: I have committed changes to control fringe widths.
Date: 01 Dec 2001 16:17:11 +0100

address@hidden (Pavel Janík) writes:

>    From: address@hidden (Kim F. Storm)
>    Date: 01 Dec 2001 04:01:14 +0100
>
>    > I have just committed the changes to control the fringe widths.
>    > The new parameters are described in NEWS.
>
> They should be described also in manual. BTW - there is no description of
> the possibility to enter nil as a width of fringe and what it does. You use
> in your examples.

Nil means: use the default value - which is the minimum width necessary to
display any of the pre-defined fringe bitmaps - which incidentally(?) is 8.

I accordance with the existing rule, I didn't put any indication on
the new left- and right-fringe parameters in NEWS... indicating that
they still need to be documented in the manual.

IMO, the ++++ and ---- indications in NEWS are highly confusing:

     Temporary note: +++ indicates that the appropriate manual
     has already been updated.  --- means no change in the manuals
     is called for.

This means that `no indication' is the way to specify that an entry
still needs to be documented in the manual.  Backwards thinking?!?

To me, it seems much more logical to put ++++ on the entries which
are *not yet* documented - and remove them when done.  Then there is no
need for the ---- indication either....  and it would be a snap to
check NEWS for any item which are not documented in the manual.

Also, when we are ready to release 21.3 (or whatever), we wouldn't
have to edit the NEWS file to remove all ++++ and ---- lines, since
there will be none (provided that the manuals have been updated).

And in the case where we don't have time to documented things in the
manual before a release, there wouldn't be any great harm in leaving
these indications in NEWS - as long as it is stated in the NEWS file
that this means that the manual isn't updated.  That way we don't lose
track of what is and isn't documented!

>    > Please also try
>    >
>    >         (setq indicate-empty-lines t)
>    >
>    > to test the new 'end of buffer' bitmap. It should fill the left fringe
>
> What if you do not have left fringe, only right? Should it be on it? What
> about
>
> (setq indicate-empty-lines 'right)
>
> What do you think?

Currently, if you remove the left fringe and turn on indicate-empty-lines,
the indication is automatically shown in the right fringe.  It is on my
schedule to enhance indicate-empty-lines as you describe.