Re[2]: Font lock & RMAIL enhancement patch

From: Eric M. Ludlam
Subject: Re[2]: Font lock & RMAIL enhancement patch
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 09:02:44 -0500

That seems like a good idea.  I was thinking of dired which bolds
deleted files, so I used the brighter faces similar to the warning
face.

What I like about strick-through and underline (which I used on the
tty) is that it shows through the highlight face that is used to show
the current message in rmail.  A Bold or italic will also do that so
long as that isn't used on other types of messages.

Eric

>>> "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden> seems to think that:
>> From: "Eric M. Ludlam" <address@hidden>
>> Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 23:16:41 -0500
>>
>> I was playing around with faces and noticed that Emacs 21 supports the
>> nifty `strike-through' feature for faces, but it doesn't seem to be
>> used.  The following patch adds a `deleted-face' to font lock which
>> uses strike through, and then uses it for deleted messages in RMAIL.
>> [...]
>> + (defface font-lock-deleted-face
>> +   '((((type tty) (class color)) (:underline t))
>> +     (((class color) (background light)) (:strike-through "Red"))
>> +     (((class color) (background dark)) (:strike-through "Pink"))
>> +     (t (:inverse-video t)))
>> +   "Font Lock mode face used to highlight deleted information."
>> +   :group 'font-lock-highlighting-faces)
>
>Don't we want the deleted face to be _less_, rather than more,
>conspicuous?  The above definition will make the deleted messages
>stand out on any display that doesn't support strike-through, since
>underline and inverse-video both stand out.  Also, the colors chosen
>for the X case are too bright, IMHO.  In addition, some display types
>which aren't tty don't support strike-through.
>
>So how about the following definition:
>
> (defface font-lock-deleted-face
>   '((((type tty) (class color)) (:foreground "green"))
>     (((type pc) (class color)) (:foreground "gray50"))
>     (((class color) (background light))
>       (:strike-through t :foreground "gray50"))
>     (((class color) (background dark))
>       (:strike-through t :foreground "gray30"))
>     (((class grayscale) (background light))
>       (:strike-through t :foreground "DimGray"))
>     (((class grayscale) (background dark))
>       (:strike-through t :foreground "LightGray"))
>     (t (:italic t)))
>   "Font Lock mode face used to highlight deleted information."
>   :group 'font-lock-highlighting-faces)
>
>This reuses the definitions of font-lock-string-face for those types
>of display which don't support neither strike-through nor a dim gray
>color.
  [ ... ]