Re: Different width face in code

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Different width face in code
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 16:38:29 +0100

"Eric M. Ludlam" <address@hidden> writes:

>   I thought it would be nifty to set font-lock-comment-face to be
> slightly smaller than the default font so I could pack more comments
> onto the screen, and found that multi-line comments in C code cause
> the secondary lines to be pulled toward the left margin some.

I think it would make sense to judiciously use tabs and spaces for
indentation.  Then the display engine can display tabs specially.

For example, consider this code fragment:

    if (...) {
        if (...) {
            foobar(a,
                   b);
    >   >   _______

The indentation points indicated by ">" come from c-basic-offset,
whereas the indentation indicated by "_" comes from aligning the "b"
line to the same spot where "a" is.  If the "b" line was always
indented with two tabs and 7 spaces, then you could change the tab
width and the code would always look right.

I guess something similar could apply to the comments: if the tabs
are displayed with the same width for all fonts, then this would
DTRT, I guess.

Does this make sense?

kai
--
Simplification good!  Oversimplification bad!  (Larry Wall)