Re: Changes in the menu bar

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Changes in the menu bar
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 17:06:02 +0200 (IST)

On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Richard Stallman wrote:

> I think it is an unnecessary annoyance to ask for the term in the
> minibuffer--especially since it does not have a list of which terms
> are available, so it can't offer any convenience such as completion.
> It would be better just to go to the glossary and let the user
> search manually.

But that would make the "Lookup in Glossary" item inconsistent with the
two other "Lookup" items right near it, which look up subjects in the
indices of the Emacs and ELisp manuals.  Isn't it better to be
consistent here?

As for completion, I considered adding it, but then dropped the idea,
since I cannot be sure that the string they will type is necessarily a
separate entry in the Glossary.  Also, the other two Lookup items don't
offer completion, either (although this will probably change soon).