Re: Improvement Suggestion: Faces in Buffer Menu (patch included)

From: Yong LU
Subject: Re: Improvement Suggestion: Faces in Buffer Menu (patch included)
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 01:49:20 +0800

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 12:22:40PM -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> address@hidden (Yong Lu) writes:
>
> > I find it a bit easier to locate buffers in the electric-buffer-list
> > and list-buffers buffer, if buffer names are displayed in different
> > faces according to their major modes.  For example, html helper mode
> > buffers are displayed with pink foreground in the list, etc.  So I
> > think it would be a good idea to add support for this.
>
> Have you ever tried ibuffer.el?  It allows you to fontify buffer names
> in the list according to arbitrary criteria (among many other things).
>
> You can get it here:
>
> http://cvs.verbum.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/ibuffer/ibuffer.el?rev=STABLE&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

hmm, it looks nice.

> I would like to submit it for inclusion into Emacs as soon as I figure
> out a good way to make it faster for lots of buffers, without
> sacrificing functionality.

Until you submit your package, I think we can use a small patch that provide
this feature.  It doesn't do as much work as ibuffer, but it doesn't require
much modification either :)

Anyway, we could start experimenting to find out a good color mapping now, just
as RMS said it.

Yong