Re: More keybindings in compilation-mode-map

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: More keybindings in compilation-mode-map
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 09:32:57 +0100

> Since sending input is not an existing feature, defining letters as
> other commands would not actually break anything.  But sending input
> to the compiler is a useful feature; one of you just asked for a way
> to do it.  So I think it remains better to put special commands on
> other keys, and make it possible to send input in a natural way.

I agree that it is a good idea to send input to the compiler.
However, I expect that it is not something the user wants to do
really often, so how about binding a key (`s', say) to a command
which reads a line (from the minibuffer, perhaps) and then sends that
line as input to the compiler?

This way, convenient keybindings can be used for scrolling and
`compile-goto-error' and so on, and users can send input to the
compiler.

Maybe it would also be useful to provide something like M-x
comint-compile RET which sets up a comint buffer in
compilation-minor-mode.  The `convenient' single-key bindings from the
compilation major mode would become `C-c' bindings in compilation
minor mode, so that would be a way for users to easily deal with
highly interactive compilations.

How about that?

kai
--