Re: More keybindings in compilation-mode-map

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: More keybindings in compilation-mode-map
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 10:03:43 -0500

>     * view-mode like bindings (SPC, DEL for scrolling, possibly keys for
>       scrolling by lines)
>
> I can see why you would want this, but it won't work.
> SPC and DEL need to have their ordinary editing meanings
> for editing input to send to the compiler.  For the same reason,
> letters like t and m cannot be given other definitions.

I'm not sure I understand.  The *compilation* buffer is not
in any kind of comint-like mode, so even though you can edit it,
there is no easy way that I know of to send the resulting text
back to the compilation process.

Maybe we should make M-x compile use a comint-mode, but I don't
think that's the case right now.  Or were you alluding to something else ?

>     * M-x revert-buffer RET (this starts the compilation again)
>
> That is a bad idea--it will do drastic things that the user does not
> expect.  Anyway, M-x recompile is an easy way to start the compilation
> again.

Note that in *grep* buffers, M-x revert-buffer reruns the `grep'
command, while M-x recompile just runs the usual "make -k", so
there is a precedent for using revert-buffer.  But I agree that
in the general `M-x compile' case, it's not clear whether rerunning
the command from revert-buffer is the right thing to do.

I think M-x recompile should be fixed to always rerun the exact
same command if run from a compilation-mode buffer.  I'll add
it to my todo list, but that one is getting completely out of hand
these days, so if anybody wants to do it...

        Stefan