Re: mouse-set-font and menu position?

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: mouse-set-font and menu position?
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2001 17:57:53 +0100

address@hidden (Pavel Janík) writes:

> First, emacs will start with the default font. After 1s (not necessary to
> wait here, just because we would like to see that), the font is changed to
> 6x10. The frame is now smaller, but the top-left origin of emacs' X-frame
> is the same as before. After additional 1s, the font is changed to 6x13 AND
> the top-left origin of X-frame is moved (at least on my setup) but
> bottom-left origin stays at the same point on the monitor.
>
> After that, S-down-mouse-1 will show menu, which is about 5cm from the
> mouse pointer.
>
> I do have this in my .Xdefaults:
>
> emacs.geometry:        110x45+50-55

I think it is a good idea that the bottom left corner doesn't move.
Imagine the geometry was +0-0 and that the window would grow.  Then
fixing the top left corner means that the bottom of the window is not
visible anymore.  But fixing the bottom left corner means that the
bottom of the window is still visible.  Also imagine that the window
shrinks, then presumably you still want the bottom left corner to be
in the corner of the screen.

I remember some discussion on supporting window gravity for Sawfish
(maybe it was still called Sawmill at that time).  Maybe Sawfish is
the only window manager to do it right :-)

I'm not sure if there is a way to position the Emacs window at 55
pixels from the bottom of the screen but still assign it north-west
gravity.  Anyone?

kai
--
Lisp is kinda like tpircstsoP