Re: address@hidden: C-k must be repeated in shell to kill a line that ha

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: address@hidden: C-k must be repeated in shell to kill a line that has a prompt]
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 10:23:06 -0700 (MST)

    `beginning-of-line' and `end-of-line' should continue to obey fields
    when invoked within an input field (though this only matters for
    `beginning-of-line', since input fields always end at the end of a line
    in comint anyway).  To suggest that they should simply ignore fields
    entirely is quite clearly wrong.

It is probably right.  Long ago we tried having C-a in Shell mode move
to the end of the prompt, but in 19.26 we gave C-a in Shell mode its
standard meaning, and made C-c C-a the command to move to the end of
the prompt.  21.1 goes back to the 19.25 behavior which was rejected
before.

I don't remember how, precisely, I made the decision to reject it.  I
would not object to taking a poll to get users' input now.  But
without some evidence that users do prefer the 21.1 behavior, we
should change it back to the previous behavior where C-a goes all the
way to the real beginning of the line.