Re: "localhost.localdomain" is never a FQDN

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: "localhost.localdomain" is never a FQDN
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 15:33:58 +0200 (CEST)

On 26 Oct 2001, Andreas Schwab wrote:

> |> May I suggest to add some code that makes sure that
> |> "localhost.localdomain" is never considered a FQDN, even though it
> |> contains a dot?
>
> Is this an official definition, or would it possible to register
> localdomain as TLD?

It is not an official definition (see RFC 2606 for that one, which
reserves .localhost as a TLD but not localdomain).

Maybe Kai is suggesting is that localhost.localdomain should not be
selected when there is another match?

(Applications such as Gnus should probably do additional sanity checks
since they may be required by various mail/news standards, but emacs
shouldn't have to. I believe Gnus does this.)