Re: tooltip-delay

From: Karl Eichwalder
Subject: Re: tooltip-delay
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 19:47:05 +0200

"Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden> writes:

> (Looking at my .emacs file, I find that I set `tooltip-delay' to 0.1
> second when I first learned about them; then I reconfigured Emacs and
> have not seen them since; and have not missed them.)

I'm quite happy with 1s; please, leave it as is.

Tooltips are useful for modeline.  Tooltips for menu entries are
arguable.

Maybe, it's possible to implement some kind of mouse bound context help:
Mouse-3 a menu entry and jump to the info file (provide a key to
jump back).  Or better, because more "user friendly": popup a frame
containing the documentation text plus a OK or [done/close] button at
the bottom:

    Mouse-3 on "Buffers" of the menu bar
    ==>

       | Multiple buffers; editing several files at once. |
       | info text                                        |
       |                                         [ done ] |

Yes, I know, right Mouse-3 isn't available in text buffer for such an
action.

--
address@hidden (work) / address@hidden (home):              |
http://www.suse.de/~ke/                                  |      ,__o