Re: URL syntax (was: Re: Tramp, "[]" in file names, and file-expand-wild

From: Per Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: URL syntax (was: Re: Tramp, "[]" in file names, and file-expand-wildcards)
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 16:20:55 +0200

Dave Love <address@hidden> writes:

>  PA> Yes, that was basically the idea.  So the idea was to swicth to
>  PA> URL syntax for everything bul local filenames, in particular ftp.
>
> Including escaping non-URL characters?

If you mean accepting %-escapes: yes.

If you mean not accepting non-URL characters that are accepted by most
applications that prompt the user for an URL: no.

Or did you mean something third?

> What about the other cases of filename quoting (`/:')?

I don't think that conflicts with the URL syntax.  A valid URL can't
start with "/:".

>  PA> An additional advantage is that there are standards covering most
>  PA> of what we want to do,
>
> Specifically not rcp access...

True, but the basic URL spec will at least provide much of the
structure for such a method.

> As far as I know, character encoding issues aren't usefully addressed
> yet, or are they?

If nothing useful is specified, Emacs can continue to do as it does
now.