Re: Tramp, "[]" in file names, and file-expand-wildcards

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Tramp, "[]" in file names, and file-expand-wildcards
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 11:07:07 -0400

> From: "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 10:29:59 -0400
>
> > Another possibility would be to invent a mechanism where each handler
> > could register a priority, and higher-priority handlers would be
> > called first.  That would allow a handler to DTRT no matter what is
> > the order of loading the respective packages into Emacs.
>
> I think it's the good and simple approach.
>
> But based on the little bit of experience we have with various kinds of
> handlers, it seems that the priority should reflect where the pattern matches
> (things like jka-compr that match the very end should have the highest
> priority, then come tar-file handlers and then ange-ftp like thingies).

If we know in advance in what order should we call certain handlers,
we could codify that order as the default, and let handlers override
it with a priority, when the default is somehow not good enough.

> The more I think about it the more I'm convinced that
> "the largest (match-end 0)" is The Right Thing.

Isn't this because your examples all share a common attribute: they
are all for file names which are recognized by their extensions?

What happens if you have a file name like /cygdrive/d/foo/bar.tar.gz,
where /cygdrive/d/ is the Cygwin magic?