Re: URL syntax (was: Re: Tramp, "[]" in file names, and file-expand-wild

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: URL syntax (was: Re: Tramp, "[]" in file names, and file-expand-wildcards)
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 14:49:01 +0200

Per Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:

> Any chance of switching over to an URL syntax?

Since the URL syntax conflicts with Ange-FTP, Ange-FTP would have to
be changed, too.  But it's a nice idea.  And we might wish to use an
additional slash before the protocol name, to do the magic-slash
thing.

Most of the Tramp filenames can be expressed with protocol prefixes,
but the multi-hop filenames need something more.  Hm.

Aside: for convenience we might wish to frob the URL syntax for FTP
slightly.  To open /etc/passwd on a host, one would have to type
ftp://address@hidden/%2Fetc/passwd which is kinda klugy.  But this is just
a minor issue.

kai
--
Linux provides a nice `poweroff' command, but where is `poweron'?