Re: Tramp, "[]" in file names, and file-expand-wildcards

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Tramp, "[]" in file names, and file-expand-wildcards
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 18:47:11 -0400

> From: "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 18:16:29 -0400
>
> I still think that overlapping handlers *should* work: if they don't
> it should be fixed.

I don't think I disagree.  It just requires to change how the handlers
work, because right now, it's a Wild West out there: whoever hooks the
operation last has the con.

> I do think using [...] is a rather poor choice since it collides with the
> wildchar patterns.  How about using parens instead ?

Won't that get in the way when running `find'?

How about borrowing the UNCs from Windows?  That is, a file named
"//server/directory/foobar" comes from the machine named `server'.

Hmm, I hope that doesn't conflict with the magic done by
substitute-in-file-name...