Re: I would like to assist in the development effort of GNU Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: I would like to assist in the development effort of GNU Emacs
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 06:31:31 +0300

> From: Jason Rumney <address@hidden>
> Date: 24 Jun 2001 23:29:37 +0100
>
> There is certainly a shortage in the amount of effort that goes into
> the documentation at present. One specific weakness I know of is that
> the documentation for Windows specific features is currently mixed in
> with the DOS section. This is confusing for users of both DOS and
> Windows. Also the documentation for Windows specifics is missing a lot
> of information.

True.  I think we should make a separate MS-Windows chapter by
extracting all the material that is pertinent to Windows from the
MS-DOS chapter, then adding important missing stuff from NTEmacs FAQ.

> I doubt there is time to make major changes to the manual in time
> for 21.1 now though

I'm not sure.  It's quite possible that mechanical changes like
moving the stuff into a separate chapter could be accepted even now.
Docs cannot break code, so changes in the docs is easier to accept
even close to a release.