Re: I would like to assist in the development effort of GNU Emacs

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: I would like to assist in the development effort of GNU Emacs
Date: 24 Jun 2001 23:29:37 +0100

Brian Masinick <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to assist in the development effort of GNU Emacs.
> Tasks that I am in a position to handle right now are:
>
> 1. Documentation: reviewing what exists and update information

There is certainly a shortage in the amount of effort that goes into
the documentation at present. One specific weakness I know of is that
the documentation for Windows specific features is currently mixed in
with the DOS section. This is confusing for users of both DOS and
Windows. Also the documentation for Windows specifics is missing a lot
of information. One thing I can think of that should be documented in
the user manual is how to use BDF fonts on Windows. This is in the
NTEmacs FAQ, but needs to be rewritten in an appropriate style for the
manual, and included there. I doubt there is time to make major
changes to the manual in time for 21.1 now though, perhaps for now we
need to concentrate on proofreading what is already written, then
start looking at the more major improvements after that?

Has anyone pointed you to the latest manual yet?