Re: char-to-string

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: char-to-string
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 11:16:25 +0200

> Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 17:16:59 +0900 (JST)
> From: Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>
>
> > Won't this have potentialy bad effects on eight-bit-*
> > character support, e.g. when searching for them in a
> > buffer?
>
> Do you have in your mind some concrete example?

No.  I just thought about the possibility that some primitive might
convert unibyte characters such as \200 into multibyte eight-bit-*
characters (to provide the behavior users expect).  If such cases do
exist, they might conflict with this change.

> I think all of these should produce the same lisp string:
>   "\343\200"
>   (concat "\200" "\343")
>   (concat (char-to-string ?\200) (char-to-string ?\343))
>   (concat '(?\200 ?\343))
>   (string ?\200 ?\343)
>   (mapconcat 'char-to-string '(?\200 ?\343) "")
> and should work the same way on inserting, searchihg, etc.

Yes, but I remember that some of the primitives silently convert
between unibyte and multibyte because users expect that.  Isn't that
the case?