Re: Customization

From: Per Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Customization
Date: 09 Jan 2001 16:18:28 +0100

Dave Love <address@hidden> writes:

>  rms> People have recently mentioned two ideas I think are good: to
>  rms> mention M-x customize in TUTORIAL, and to have a customization
>  rms> class of "most popular customizations".
>
>  rms> I think that the best way to do the former depends on whether
>  rms> the latter is done.  Do people want to do the latter?
>
> It should presumably use Custom `themes' support.

No, it can be created very simply with a

(defgroup peoples-choice '((require-final-newline custom-variable)
                           (font-lock custom-group)
                           (user-mail-address custom-variable)
                           (text-mode-hook custom-variable) ; for auto-fill
                           ...)
  "Popular customization options.")

It doesn't specify a value though, just list the most popular options.

> However, that
> hasn't yet been ported from XEmacs; I don't remember why.  [Yes, we
> have papers.]

I tried to merge the Emacs and XEmacs files, but got tired of trying
to find consensus for minor code policy differences, and just doing a
port didn't hold my interest.  Although my attempt at a merge could
be considered a port, if someone else would resolve the remaining
policy questions to the Emacs side.  Then again, there have probably
been too much code drift since that for my old merge to be used.

<address@hidden> volunteered to do a port, and reported some success, I
don't heard anything later.