Re: butlast and nbutlast

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: butlast and nbutlast
Date: 22 Dec 2000 11:37:34 +0900

Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:
> I've got a request to move butlast and nbutlast from cl.el
> to subr.el.  I think that's good because, then,
> emacs-lisp/byte-opt.el doesn't have to have
> byte-compile-butlast, and textmodes/artist.el doesn't have
> to have artist-butlast.

One thing I've always thought should definitely be moved out of cl is
`mapcan'.

The problem of course is that being in `cl' gives it funky
multiple-argument behavior that's probably annoying to implement; if I
had my way, I'd just drop that noise and make it a subr along with the
other mapping operations in fns.c, but who knows what compatibility
complaints would surface.

-Miles
--
Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra.  Suddenly it flips over,
pinning you underneath.  At night the ice weasels come.  --Nietzsche