transient-mark-mode

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: transient-mark-mode
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 09:51:18 -0800

Hi all,

Given that the major version number of emacs will change, maybe we
could also change the default for `transient-mark-mode' to be on.

Why?

It is the behavior of about all other editors.

It is confusing for new users (I've heard: "You mean I select
something and it does not show on the screen"? a countless number of
times).

Users that don't like `transient-mark-mode' are advanced enough to be
able to switch it off in their .emacs

Is this something that would need a poll, or people aggree that is a
good idea?

Thanks.
        --dan