Re: Contributing to Emacs Development

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Contributing to Emacs Development
Date: 11 Nov 2000 23:30:19 +0100

On Sat, 11 Nov 2000, address@hidden wrote:
> Hi,
>>>"Eli" == Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
>  Eli> [Note that I've redirected this discussion to the development
>  Eli> list.]
>  >> From: address@hidden
>  >> Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 23:36:30 -0600
>
>  >> I think we are going to have to consolidate the primary info
>  >> directory on Debian into /usr/share/info; and use
>  >> update-alternatives for major subcomponents for which various
>  >> versions may simultaneously co-exist (emacs 19, 20, and 21;
>  >> native Gnus for each of these, as well as the stand alone Gnus
>  >> package, etc).
>
>  Eli> This problem is relevant to all Info browsers, not only to
>  Eli> Emacs, since all Info readers must be able to find the files.
>
> And using update alternatives, they can.

I'm not sure what update alternatives are, but I suspect they have to
do with the /etc/alternatives directory.

I think that won't help at all with the problem at hand.  Consider
Gnus, for example.  It comes with several info files, viz, gnus.info
and message.info.  There are links from one to the other.  Surely the
links should be to the right version, ie the Gnus 5.7 info file should
point to an older version of message.info than the Gnus 5.8 info file.

But the source code gnus.texi for the Gnus info file says to link to
message.info, without giving a version number.

How do you deal with this problem?

kai
--
The arms should be held in a natural and unaffected way and never
be conspicuous. -- Revised Technique of Latin American Dancing