Re: default bg color on ttys

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: default bg color on ttys
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 18:38:05 +0900 (JST)

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> > Whatever it is, should be easily done from the command line (because
> > the correct value is very dependent on the particular circumstances in
> > which you're using emacs).
>
> But then the same problem existed with the previous code, no?  You always
> got a dark background, no matter what were the particular circumstances,
> right?  So why it is important to be able to do this from the command
> line now, but it wasn't important before?

Well, it *was* important before (I guess), but I didn't complain about
it, because I personally don't use any terminals with light backgrounds.

> > I tried doing: emacs -nw -q -eval "(setq frame-background-mode 'dark)"
> > but that didn't work, and there's no other advertised way to do this,
> > other than running customize.
>
> What's wrong with customize (or a setq in your .emacs)?  Isn't that what
> users are supposed to do if the default operation is not appropriate for
> them?

Because this is highly environment-dependent, and so if someone commonly
runs emacs from both light- and dark-background terminals (as I used to),
they either have to find some magic way to have their .emacs detect the
situation (which is not possible, in general, and not reasonable to ask
newbies to do at all), or run customize *every time* they run emacs,
which is completely stupid.  Having to specify a command-line option is
kind of annoying too, but at least it's not _that_ annoying...

-Miles
--
Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra.  Suddenly it flips over,
pinning you underneath.  At night the ice weasels come.  --Nietzsche