Re: Info faces

From: Kai Großjoha nn
Subject: Re: Info faces
Date: 25 Oct 2000 23:31:48 +0200

On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: address@hidden (Kai
>>  =?iso-8859-1?q?Gro=DFjoha?= =?iso-8859-1?q?nn?=) Date: 25 Oct 2000
>>  13:45:03 +0200
>>
>> No, `-name' sets the name for looking up X resources.  That is,
>> Emacs can't look up the resources for a specific xterm unless it
>> knows the `-name' argument, if any.
>
> Doesn't the same problem exist when Emacs runs on X as a windowed
> application?

???

Suppose we have Emacs running under X, and without `-nw'.  Then any
`-name' argument given to an xterm invocation does not affect the
background color of Emacs at all.  And if the `-name' argument is
given to Emacs itself, then Emacs surely knows what it was, since
Emacs knows its own command line arguments.

The problem only occurs if you say `xterm -name frumple', and then
start `emacs -nw' within that -- then Emacs needs to look up the
command line arguments of xterm in order to know what X resources to
look for, and that's not so easy (though it appears doable -- just
follow the chain of parent processes until you reach init or a
terminal emulator).

Or am I misunderstanding something here?  Feel free to stop me if I'm
saying something silly.

Maybe we could start with a simple mechanism which works right often,
then document it.  For example:

    Emacs running in an xterm assumes a light background.  Use `emacs
    -bg black' if your xterm has a black background.  Emacs behaves
    similarly for rxvt, kvt, konsole, aterm, and eterm.

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.