Discussions (was: New names for VC local version backups)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Discussions (was: New names for VC local version backups)
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 13:37:40 +0200 (IST)

On 24 Oct 2000, Andre Spiegel wrote:

> > Sigh.  Is it possible to try to discuss important changes here
> > *before* they get installed?  I thought that's what we started
> > this forum for, no?
>
> It is always a matter of personal judgement; sorry if I erred to the
> wrong side this time.  I had discussed this with Stefan; also this is
> a change in a very recently added feature that people cannot be
> relying very intimately on as of yet :-).

Please don't take the comment personally; it wasn't meant to be that way.

With the advent of this forum, we are trying to change the development
model, at least to some extent, and specifically to make it less
centralized. That is not an easy thing to do, so it doesn't surprise me
that we have these disagreements.  We must strike the right balance
between freedom of development and cooperation towards some common goals.
I think that sharing ideas is instrumental to finding that fine balance.

It is therefore my opinion that issues should be discussed even if the
change is not supposed to break anything, simply because it's important
for others to know about non-trivial changes.