Re: problem of released-button style mode-line

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: problem of released-button style mode-line
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 22:19:17 +0900 (JST)

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:
> I believe that the only cases where this fudging is necessary is
> when setting the window-height to a specific value.  In such a case,
> I'd rather avoid having elisp code start calling such ad-hoc functions.
> Instead, I think we should introduce a new function `set-window-height'
> which would then use your `mode-line-window-height-fudge' internally
> to make sure that the function ends up with N fully-displayed lines.

That sounds like a good idea.

It would mean a bit more reworking of existing code, since the places
I've fixed all calculate various heights and then use shrink-window or
something, but I think it would probably be an improvement, since most
of them simply contain code to do exactly that.

The only problem I can think of offhand is the name -- currently all
places that deal with `window-height's *include* the mode-line in the
height, so I think having a function called `set-window-height' that
uses a different metric would be confusing.

How about `set-window-text-height'?

-Miles