Re: problem of released-button style mode-line

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: problem of released-button style mode-line
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 08:46:41 -0400

This "partially displayed line" problem has been bothering me for a while.
I think a first step would be to make the frame slightly larger so that
at startup all lines are fully displayed.  Of course this fails as soon
as you create more windows (or mix fonts).

> Okay, since this kind of kluge is already used in various places,
> I decided it would be better to at least centralize it.

I believe that the only cases where this fudging is necessary is
when setting the window-height to a specific value.  In such a case,
I'd rather avoid having elisp code start calling such ad-hoc functions.
Instead, I think we should introduce a new function `set-window-height'
which would then use your `mode-line-window-height-fudge' internally
to make sure that the function ends up with N fully-displayed lines.

        Stefan