Re: modal proportionality, redux

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: modal proportionality, redux
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 10:10:17 +0900 (JST)

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:
> I'd mostly agree, except for the fact that Helvetica menus plus
> Courier text plus Lucida mode-line makes the whole thing kind of
> baroque (similar to papers written by someone who just discovered
> the "wonders" of Word).

Well, certainly if we decide to use lucida for the mode-line, then
the menus should be changed as well.

Actually, I would simply make all of them inherit from the
`variable-pitch' face, and make that lucida.  However, since it is
sometimes the case that an explicitly sans-serif font is preferable even
for people like me that use a serif'd face for variable-pitch (and I
think menus are one such case, perhaps there should be a face hierarchy
like --

                                 +---- variable-pitch <--- mode-line &c
                                /
  sans-serif-variable-pitch <--+------ menus

  serif-variable-pitch

Then if someone likes serif'f faces in general, they could make the
`variable-pitch' face point at serif-variable-pitch without changing
menus.

or something...

-Miles
--
Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra.  Suddenly it flips over,
pinning you underneath.  At night the ice weasels come.  --Nietzsche