bitmap files

From: Miles Bader
Subject: bitmap files
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 22:11:18 +0900 (JST)

For images that come with emacs (e.g., splash screens), I notice that
there are typically two files -- a .xpm file, used on color displays,
and a .pbm file used on mono displays.

Wouldn't it be better to include .xpm files for both, with the mono
version having only two colors and using a different name (e.g.,
foo-mono.xpm), so that an additional `transparent' color can be used?
Otherwise, it seems as if these mono images are hard-wired for given
background (at least, that's how emacs displays them on my color
display; I don't have a real mono display to test it with)?

-Miles