Re: how to determine whether a char can be displayed or not

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: how to determine whether a char can be displayed or not
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 21:29:14 +0900 (JST)

Dave Love <address@hidden> writes:
> Thanks for the code.  Is it reliable?

I believe so, but, of course, there's a possibility that I
miss something.  I'm not sure we should include this new
fuction in 21.1 because we have freezed features long ago.

> I ask because x-list-fonts' doc string says:

> Fonts Emacs can't use may or may not be excluded
> even if they match PATTERN and FACE.

> I don't know when that comment would apply.

I think this comment should be now deleted.  As far as I
know, the new font selection mechanism allows any fonts to
be used in Emacs.  The basic strategy of the mechanism is
to, at first, list fonts by specifying only family and
registry field, then select the best matching font among
them.  So, as far as there exists a font that matches with
the specified family and registry, Emacs can display a
character by that font.

Gerd, could you confirm it?

---
Ken'ichi HANDA