[emacs-bidi] Linux and UNICODE bidi

From: Ehud Karni
Subject: [emacs-bidi] Linux and UNICODE bidi
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 18:24:07 +0200

I'm forwarding to the list Tzafrir Cohen email.

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001 21:54:56 +0200 (IST),
Tzafrir Cohen <address@hidden> wrote:

  I don't think I have much to add. Anyway, a short summary:

  qt already uses unicde internally, as of qt2, but with no bidi
  support. qt3 will have bidi support (some snapshonts of that code
  are now availble from trolltech, for people to test...)

  This will probably be used by one of the coming versions of kde as
  well (maybe 2.2? maybe 3.0? I'm not usre exactly).

  gtk2 is unicode-based, and includes full bidi support. Developments
  snapshots are also avialble (gtk >= 1.3.1). I'm not sure if the next
  gnome version (1.4) will use those, but gnome 2.0 will.

  Note that there are many apps written with other graphical toolkits.
  "legacy" programs (written with/for older versions of those libraries,
  or not using those graphical toolkits) will be around.

  From what I know, XFree is also moving slowly towards more usage of
  unicode. But here "unicode" basically means "utf8" and similar stuff,
  not necessarily more.

-------------------- end of Tzafrir email --------------------

A short description of the software mention by Tzafrir for those not
familiar with GNU/Linux.

Qt and GTK are libraries for developing graphical user interface (GUI)
applications for the X Window System.

KDE and GNOME are the 2 competing graphic environment managers (to
call them window managers is very, very understatement) for Linux.

Xfree is the basic X windows software for Linux.

Ehud.

--
 @@@@@@ @@@ @@@@@@ @    @   Ehud Karni  Simon & Wiesel  Insurance agency
     @    @      @  @@  @   Tel: +972-3-6212-757    Fax: +972-3-6292-544