edu-eu

Re: [edu-eu] Free Software in education - News collection - September

From: Sebastian Silva
Subject: Re: [edu-eu] Free Software in education - News collection - September
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 10:11:32 -0500

Hi Guido,
Thank you for these nice updates and for linking to our community + team's blog often.

Just a minor correction. The article regarding the 20.000 users in Peru refers to "Sugar Network" users. Sugar Network is a "community effort to provide a decentralized asynchronous socio-educative network for peer support and sharing of free educational resources". In Perú, about 90% users (schoolchildren) don't have access to the Internet, that's why we elaborated a sneakernet-ready solution. In all, there are about 1MM users in Perú alone, and 2MM in South America, 3MM around the world, virtually all of them tied to the OLPC but hopefully we'll move beyond those machines soon.

Here's a link to the software project at Sugar Labs (technical):
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Network

And here's a link to the "product" implementation in Perú ( "Red Azúcar"):
http://pe.sugarlabs.org/ir/Red%20Az%C3%BAcar

You do a great service to the community by collecting these links, thanks for doing it, and taking into consideration the rest of the world (it's one free world, after all.).

Regards,
Sebastian

--
Sebastian Silva
"icarito" #sugar #somosazucar (freenode IRC)

"Las maestras y los maestros democráticos intervenimos en el mundo a través del cultivo de la curiosidad" - P.Freire