Re: [Duplicity-talk] Backup recovery downloads all signatures

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Backup recovery downloads all signatures
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2018 13:38:50 +0200

On 03.07.2018 16:11, Romain Thouvenin via Duplicity-talk wrote:
> When running this command, I noticed that duplicity seems to download
> all the signatures since the first backup. Below you can see an extract
> of the output.
>
> Why is that? I had understood that one reason for doing regular full
> backups what precisely to avoid this.

nope. the reason for shorter chains is that one corrupt volume might render the
whole chain useless. atleast all files that were initially or partly stored in
it will fail to restore.

>Downloading all these signatures
> takes ages. Am I missing something?

well, yes. duplicity always works with a complete archive folder, regardless if
it is actually needed or not. it is simply the way it was designed.

you can easily work around it though by assigning a new subfolder every 3 month
as backup target. this way the resynced archive folder will hold only this time
span.

i am not sure we really need the refreshed archive dir for a plain restore
though. or at least if, then we could limit it to the given restore date chain.
@Ken: what do you think?