Re: [Duplicity-talk] Verify is not working as expected, for me

From: David Williams
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Verify is not working as expected, for me
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2017 09:22:55 -0400

On 06/10/2017 05:45 AM, Kenneth Loafman wrote:
Hi David,

You are correct, verify by itself only verifies that the current backup can be recovered. With --data-compare, it will also compare the backup's data against that on the file system. This is to save time since the compare operation is expensive.

...Thanks,
...Ken

OK, thanks. Pretty confusing since the current behavior, in 7.12, is contrary to examples [1] I've seen.

In addition to the behavior of "rsync" [2] which " ... finds files that need to be transferred using a "quick check" algorithm (by default) that looks for files that have changed in size or in last-modified time."

I was going to open a bug to improve the man page docs for 'verify' but then saw a lot had already been opened and apparently resolved (or, in progress?). Such as bug 1354880 [3]. I will point out, though, that the "man page" changes mentioned in that bug 1354880 do not seem to be in version 7.12, unless I have the wrong man pages installed, somehow. I did install the Ubuntu 16.04 "distribution version" first, which is quite old, at the 7.06 level and did try to 'purge' the old version before installing the new 7.12 version, but, you know, I might have made some mistake and I have not checked the source repository.

Thank you so much for clarifying!

[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DuplicityBackupHowto#Verify
[2] http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/trusty/man1/rsync.1.html
[3] https://bugs.launchpad.net/duplicity/+bug/1354880