[Duplicity-talk] Following up on an extended attributes question

From: Arjun Krishnan
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Following up on an extended attributes question
Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 20:27:57 -0600

Hi

So I'd asked about extended attributes support in duplicity a while ago. I was told that this
is the fault of the tarfile module. I did follow up on this, and it seems that tarfile does support
extended attributes: one simply creates a tarfile in the POSIX.1-2001 pax format. However,
the default tarinfo object created by tarfile doesn't include the extended attributes, and just
the output of os.stat(). However, it's is easy to include xattrs using the xattrs module via xattrs.getattrs
and append it to the pax_header.

If I create a file with extended attributes, and *open* it using tarfile, it reads the
headers just fine.

I'd like to help code support for extended attributes, and it be great to get any help to get started.

- A