Re: [Duplicity-talk] Minimizing risk on incremental

From: Ed Blackman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Minimizing risk on incremental
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2017 11:22:05 -0400

On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 09:15:17AM -0400, Manuel Morales via Duplicity-talk
wrote:
> The attractive part of duplicity in my case is the encryption, but it seems
> the “incremental backup” is not ideal for me.

You may want to check out borgbackup:
https://borgbackup.readthedocs.io/en/stable/

Borg backups can be encrypted, and each backup archive is a full backup
of the input files.  But Borg uses rsync-like chunking and deduplication
to store only new chunks as you add archives, so you get full backup
archives for the space cost of an incremental.  See the borg docs for
more detail.

Unlike Duplicity, borg needs smarts on the backend (for the
deduplication), so has a much smaller set of supported backends.
However, you mentioned that you use rsync.net, which is one of the
providers that supports borg: http://rsync.net/products/attic.html

I don't have any experience with using borg with rsync.net, but I do use
borg and am happy with it.  Please email me directly or contact borg
support channels if you have questions, to avoid further off-topic
conversation on this mailing list.

--
Ed Blackman