Re: [Duplicity-talk] [Duplicity-team] Python 3

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] [Duplicity-team] Python 3
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 12:42:23 -0600

I am not sure how much effort it would be to keep compatibility for both.  When 2.x came out, 1.5 was shipped for several years after, so it seems we need to support both, and I'd rather do that than have to support 2 branches of duplicity.  The 0.7 and 0.8 simultaneous support is a real PITA.

...Ken

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 6:26 AM, <address@hidden> wrote:
let's continue this on the talk list only.. all duplicity-team are subscribed here anyway.

On 19.01.2017 12:39, Aaron wrote:
>> well, duplicity is mostly used in shell environments making backups of
>> servers. these tend to be badly serviced and upgraded (never change a
>> running sytem), so older software packages stay there and it is a pain
>> to hand compile newer ones, just for this one usage. i am speaking
>> from experience here.
>> so keeping python 2.7 compatibility for some years is afaics a must..
>
> I see that. I guess the question is how long is "some years". Python 3 was released in 2008. Isn't it a bit of a corner case if the machine is badly serviced and upgraded, but the admin is running a cutting edge version of duplicity?

i see your point. thing is that we get new backends all the time and those would be missing for legacy base users, but might be needed.

maybe we could keep 2.7 compat for 0.8 and 0.9 get's python3?

is there any danger that python 2.7 is not shipped anymore in current/future distro's? that would be a good reason from my point of view.

btw. switching the python runtime version would be a major change justifying if not needing a major version number change.